About Me

We Love Soul is a network and community of music lovers who love and support soul music and its many offshoots and genres; NuSoul, Classic Soul and R&B, Hip Hop, House, Disco, Afrobeat, NuJazz, Latin flavors, Funk and more. Our goal is to expose soulful music to audiences who desire to be entertained as well as educated. Our mission is to progressively and positively influence soul music communities and cultures around the world one beat at a time by providing soul music lovers audio and visual access to cutting edge soul music and artists. We Love Soul and so should You...

Friday 5/23: We Love Soul presents Art & Soul


Friday May 23rd: 7pm-12midnight
We Love Soul
presents
Art & Soul

Featuring Art by
and
Soul by DJs
Duane Powell
Joe Kollege
Kwest_on
Sean Alvarez

Complimentary Wine, Cocktails, and Hors D'ourves

This is a TIcket Only Event. Cash will not be accepted at the door.
To purchase tickets please visit www.artsoulmay23.eventbrite.com
We Love Soul and so should You...

About the artist: 
Raymond A. Thomas is an award-winning artist, international award-winning filmmaker, and noted creative director. He won 1st place in the 2013 Black Creativity juried art exhibition and is the recipient of a 2014 IPA grant from the City of Chicago’s department of cultural affairs Thomas is a graduate of the prestigious School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Thomas was hired by Johnson Publishing Company Inc., publishers of Ebony and Jet Magazines where served as art director and creative manager for over 23-years. Thomas’ vibrant acrylic and mix media collage works can be seen in galleries, art exhibitions, corporate and personal collections nationwide. Some of his were acquired by; The Paul R. Jones Collection, The Carol H. Williams Agency, Linda Johnson Rice, and acting legend Sydney Poitier. Thomas currently serves as artistic/creative director for The South Side Community Art Center in Bronzeville. 

Artist Statement: 
Everyday I am on the grind, confronting the unknown possibilities of my imagination with fearless passion. Through my unwavering devotion to craft and culture, I am reaffirming my humanity through the gift of creating. I have no choice in this because it is simply who I am. I am an artist and like all true artists, our inner urge cannot be bought, taught or bartered. I realized early in my career that my predestination as an artist was directly linked with the burdens I have for my community and for society as a whole. This is not the mission of every artist, but for me, I feel the need to examine the social, spiritual and political realities of our times and how these events interweave through the tears and triumphs of the African American experience. We are travelers all, and in this brief space of time in which we physically occupy this plane of reality, what we leave behind, our works and deeds, can be criticized or canonized for many years to come. Ultimately, I can only hope that my art is experienced, speaks truth and is deemed relevant to the human cause.


No comments:

Post a Comment